Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Boekenhoutskloof The Wolftrap Red 2010 (South Africa)

This was another wine I had great expectations for as Boekenhoutskloof also makes The Chocolate Block which is an excellent wine, a bit higher in price than The Wolftrap blend but well worth it!

The Wolftrap was around $14 per bottle and I thought not bad, if I don't like it I wont spend allot. I was never really into South African wines much as I never really had one I liked until The Chocolate Block. Needless to say that wine sold me on the idea of South African wines.

This wine is a blend of 65% Syrah, 32% Mourvedre & 3% Viognier. On the pour this wine is dark ruby red and opens with pomegranate and blueberry on the nose. On the palate, this wine is medium bodied, slightly acidic and approachable. The flavor profile is a slightly smoky mild tart cherry with hints of plum and a touch of minerality. A bit spicy with hints of violet. The finish is dry and moderate tannins linger slightly. All in all this not a bad wine, would I purchase it again? Maybe!


No comments:

Post a Comment