Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Apothic Red Winemakers Blend 2009 (California)

I purchased this wine with great expectations! It was neither great nor bad, at least by my wine standards. This wine is a blend of zinfandel, syrah and merlot.

When I first opened the bottle and poured a glass, the smell was not a slap you in the face intense red blend that I am used too but I proceeded of course. The color was a nice ruby red and the nose was smoky oak and vanilla aromas--and that vanilla aroma is a clue that the wine saw American oak. There was a touch of nutmeg, black cherry and chocolate.
The wine seemed more confused than complex, it did not have the grip I was expecting nor the intense flavors you find in most red blends. That might be my wine snob talking, so please judge for yourself. There was a touch a sweetness, perhaps from all the subtle yet fairly strong berry flavor, strawberry, cherry and plum. Not much finish on this wine but enough it leaves you with a hint of vanilla. Although it appeared unbalanced at first a bit of breathing helped, perhaps even decanting a bit. Many people who enjoy a more delicate red blend would appreciate this wine.







No comments:

Post a Comment