Thursday, December 8, 2011

Red Guitar Old Vine Tempranillo/Garnacha 2008 (Spain)

I am reluctant to even write a review on this wine, however when I started this blog I decided I would write the good, the bad and the ugly about wines I tried so here it goes.

I opened the bottle anticipating a nice Tempranillo/Garnacha blend  as I have had many that were less expensive and enjoyed them. This wine retailed around $14.99 per bottle.

The color was a light red. The aromas were horrible, smelled like a dirty locker-room or worse but I wont go there. Since smell is ninety percent of taste I was concerned to even tip my glass to sip this wine but I did. Now the taste was not as bad as the smell but the aromas were so offensive it was hard to get past, in fact I could not get past it. The palate was flat, no structure whatsoever and absolutely no redeeming qualities. Bad bottle? Perhaps, I suppose any number of things could have happened to make this wine smell as horrible as it does but I wont waste my money again on another vintage to find out.

I have read other reviews about this wine, same vintage that were nothing like my review and the writers seemed to enjoy the wine and gave it good press so try it for yourself and see what you think. Everyone tastes wine different and feel free to write your comments and your experience.


1 comment:

  1. Not that I know what I am talking about....but I totally agree with you! To me this smelled bad and tasted worse. But I have to say that have heard others in the store saying that they liked it!

    ReplyDelete