Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ruta 22 Malbec 2009 (Argentina)

I passed on this wine many times in the wine shop and that was my bad! Sometimes a bottle of wine will speak to me and although this wine spoke to me everytime I did not purchase it for a couple of months, no reason I just wanted to try several other's first I guess and I try to have a budget when I purchase wines. I finally purchased a bottle and I am thrilled that I did! It is a great wine!


It had a really nice dark purple color in my glass and I like that! The smell was fruit forward with a nice intense aroma. So starting off with a nice deep color, and strong fruity smell, the wine definitely had promise. At this point, I was really looking forward to giving it a taste. As I took a sip, I knew this wine had a lot of merit. The fruit forward smell that I observed, was definitely not an illusion. The taste of fruit was very prominent, especially blackberry, spices and dark cherry. It was a very nice bold wine, and I like bold! It was quite smooth and the tannins were firm, but definitely not overdone. I plan on purchasing another bottle sas soon as possible.

Definitely a red meat wine that is adaptable enough to stand up to spicy Mexican, Cajun, Indian or Italian fare (especially with tomato-based sauces).

Note on Malbec: Originating from the Bordeaux region of France, this grape is among the "big six" for red wine grapes. However, with the exception of Cahors (a region in France) its fame and fortune in France often end there, as Malbec is generally a grape used for blending, with very little vine being devoted to its improvement or success. The story in Argentina is quite the opposite. Malbec has found both fame and glory in the sun-drenched climate of Argentina. This is Argentina's signature grape and it is quickly making a new name for itself with red wine lovers! Like me! Another wonderful wine is Tempranillo (very popular in Spain) but that is another post.


Malbec is typically a medium to full-bodied red wine. Ripe fruit flavors of plums and blackberry give it a jammy characteristic. The tannins are typically a bit tight and the earthy, wood-like appeal makes for a fairly rustic, yet versatile wine.

1 comment:

  1. Love this wine. Finally a reasonable Malbec that is a good buy. There are so many avaerage one. It is good to see a wine with this quality for the money.

    ReplyDelete