Friday, August 12, 2011

2004 Stone Hill Norton (Missouri)

I purchased this wine in 2006 and aged it for 5 years, no reason just wanted to see how it would taste in 5 to 10 years. I finally decided to crack it open and see what it was like. I figured 5 years was long enough as I did not think it had the aging power of a finer wine. It runs about $30 per bottle, I guess not to bad if you like Norton (Missouri grape) I do prefer other varietals but it is one the best Missouri wines. The Character of Norton is simple to me, perhaps some can find more complexity. It is bold, peppery and often times floral with high tannin levels.

The 2nd day, totally bland, fell apart I guess some would stay. Very bitter almost a vinegar state. Awww well I tried it!

This bottle seemed to have softened some from 2006 and held some of it's Norton character pretty well and was easy drinking. It was nice to have a bottle that probably most people have not tried.




Norton grapes also know as Cynthiana, usually in Arkansas are grown primarily in Missouri and Arkansas and used to make Norton wine. Perhaps you might want to visit some of the local wineries in Missouri, perhaps Stone Hill in Branson where this bottle was purchased. I not a huge fan of Missouri wines but I did used to give one heck of an interesting wine tour when I worked for Stone Hill years ago and I am from Missouri. You can learn the history of wine producing in Missouri.

1 comment:

  1. It is fun to see yet another Norton wine review. Would you have not found that Stone Hill's Cross J Norton might have aged better? Since I commented last, Norton wineries have now exploded to 257 Norton wineries in 24 states located mainly in the Southeastern and Mid-western states.

    ReplyDelete