Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Barista Pinotage 2009 (South Africa)

Interesting wine, from the Western cape of South Africa. Many of you may know Barista is to coffee as Sommelier is to wine so the label in it's self is very telling. I would not normally purchase a wine with such a name, knowing full well there will be quite a bit of coffee flavor. I enjoy both coffee and wine but not especially together, now my friend Rita always has her cup of Joe and whatever else she is drinking even it is wine, lol. I had a sample at a tasting and ended up purchasing a bottle just for kicks, I figured this wine would pair well with something, perhaps great on a cold night with snow.

Deep red full-bodied wine that has a burst of intense rich dark coffee and chocolate aromas with hints of plum mulberry and pomegranate. On the palate more coffee, a bit of sweet vanilla and dark cocoa swirl on your tongue with a lingering finish that has a touch of spice.

This wine would pair well with desserts such as chocolate eclairs, Boston cream pie and many meat or creamy casserole dishes. Would I purchase this wine again? Maybe. I am glad that I tried it never the less.



For an interesting video on this wine go to


No comments:

Post a Comment