Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Schug Chardonnay Sonoma Coast 2009 (California)

I enjoyed the Schug Cabernet Sauvignon so much I knew I was bound to love the Chardonnay as well. While it was good, it was not amazing! Perhaps I had my expectations a bit high, that happens sometimes but never the less it was good, not every wine has to be amazing I suppose, well maybe! Nah...that is not possible.

Brilliantly clear and pale golden yellow that lightens slightly at the edges to a more straw hue. When swirled this springy wine settles quickly and leaves widely clusters of slow fat legs along the side of the glass. Bright and aromatic, this Chardonnay is both fresh and complex with the layers of both tree and tropical fruit leading the way followed by toasted brioche (french pastry) and oak as well as vanilla hints, a bit creamy with spicy notes. The palate suffered a bit, which is what I am not crazy about this Chardonnay. Flavors of tart apple, white pear and a touch of sweet citrus and toasted nuts, not much depth but a bit complex, acidity was good but not a mind blowing Chard for me, I guess that is what I wanted this particular evening. The finish was there, a bit creamy but not long lasting.

Would I buy this again, probably not but it was great to try!





No comments:

Post a Comment