Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fess Parker Riesling 2010 (California)

I try not to be a Washington Riesling wine snob. So my first impression of this off-dry California Riesling was positive. It had a light yellow color, with pear petrol and floral on the nose, fresh and interesting with crisp apple on the palate. A bit sweeter that I had anticipated but not so sweet that I was disappointed, if you have read much of my blog you know I am not a fan of sweet wines.

Fess Parker is renowned, at least in the United States, for creating top-notch varietals, both white and red. Would you expect any less from Davy Crockett?Anyone my age will know that Fess Parker played the iconic roles of Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone on TV. As a kid I loved watching those shows. As an adult, I enjoy drinking his namesake wines.
This wine was a great match to the afternoon snack I made of sliced pear, white cheddar cheese and mixed nuts. With the pear, the acidity in the wine was bright, obvious and complimentary. The acidity of the wine was muted by the cheese and nuts, but with the cheese I noticed that the wine had a distinct apricot flavor, very pleasant. Well done. A balanced, delicious and easy to drink Riesling. I liked it!

This wine would pair well with spicy Asian dishes, sweet and sour chicken, stir fry and a wide variety of cheeses.



 “You ought to never consider retiring from work, because remaining engaged in some creative occupation makes life so much more full” - Fess Parker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment