Monday, January 16, 2012

Kimmel Merlot 2009 (California)

If you have read my other blog posts about Kimmel Wines you have more than likely figured out I am a pretty big fan. I am like many wine lovers, always up for trying new wines but it is good to have a wine you know will never disappoint. A wine that is crafted so well it could age for years and be as wonderful as it is today or better. A wine that you could take to any dinner party and know everyone will love it and want to know where they too can get a bottle.

On the pour this wine was dark crimson purple and on the nose aromas of African violet, cedar, black cherry and pepper penetrate your senses. At this point I was lost in the glass, the aromas were intense and there was layer upon layer of enticing scents. The palate was equally intense with flavors of black cherry, juicy plum, clove and a hint of chocolate. This Merlot was medium bodied and smooth with a velvety texture, very approachable with a lasting finish, the soft tannins made it almost too easy to drink. I am glad that I had another bottle. 

We had guests for dinner when I served this wine and it paired very well with grilled chicken and vegetables.


Galileo Galilei once said "Wine is sunlight, held together by water" Kimmel wines are the closest I have tasted to sunlight in a glass.

Kimmel Vineyard is located in Mendocino County in Potter Valley, approx 1100 acres of Vineyards. You can visit them on line at
or on Face Book at

No comments:

Post a Comment